Introduction of registration application fees
The GDC will shortly be announcing the introduction of fees for first registration applications to join the UK’s registers of dental professionals. The formal announcement, which will include details of the different bands and the levels of fees, will be made on 5 December 2019.
The new fees will come into effect on 1 January 2020. They are being introduced to cover the costs relating to applications to join the UK registers.
The GDC do not currently apply fees to applications for first registration, which means these costs are borne by existing registered dental professionals. The introduction of these fees will correct this situation and ensure alignment with the new fee-setting policy. The new approach to fee-setting, including the removal of this cross-subsidy, has contributed to the recently announced reduction in the Annual Retention Fee (ARF).
Although some of the details are not yet finalised, the GDC would like to share some information now.
The fees will be made up of two parts:
- a flat rate to cover processing costs, and
- a variable rate to cover the costs of assessing the type of application received, which will result in different fee bands, varying depending on the complexity of the assessment.
With reference to those who are in the process of making an application to join one of the UK registers, please also be aware of the following:
- To enable changes to be made to online applications system, online applications will close at 18.00 (GMT+1) on 16 December. Any incomplete online applications will be lost if not completed by this time.
- Online applications completed before 18.00 (GMT+1) on 16 December will not be subject to fees.
- Correctly completed paper applications received by post before 17.00 (GMT+1) on 31 December, will also not be subject to the new fees.
- The online applications system will reopen to new applications from 17.00 (GMT+1) on 2 January 2020.
The GDC will be providing all the details, including bands and specific charges, as soon as they are available.